Senior Communications Advisor to the Minister of Research, Innovation and Science
Public Relations | Toronto, Canada Area, CA
A highly driven digital media and communications strategist with experience in corporate, political and start-up environments, boasting strong media and public relations, social media and multimedia skills. Proven ability to work both independently and as part of a team within a tight deadline. Innovative, creative and passionate when it comes to deploying communication strategies through new media.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience providing effective communication strategy, advice, and support in both corporate and political environments; proven ability to develop and deliver communications strategy.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications in a variety of media forms; expert ability to clearly and logically communicate ideas with the reader.
• Highly experienced with media relations: planning and executing press conferences, fostering and maintaining relationships with the media, press releases, media advisories, crisis communications, pitching stories, and acting as spokesperson.
• Exhibits analytical, strategic thinking, problem-solving skills; experienced with project management and program co-ordination.
• Ability to work on multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced, deadline orientated environment with attention to detail.
• Skilled writer and copy editor experienced with both AP and CP style.
• Adept at monitoring and managing professional social media accounts and using a variety of analytical tools to benchmark against KPIs.
• Extensive Web 2.0 experience: Analytics, HTML, CSS, SEO, basic PHP and social media integration.
• Experience using computer software to support a variety of marketing and communications initiatives. Programs include: Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom and InDesign; Dreamweaver; Audacity; Burli; non-linear editing software (Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere and After Effects).
2017 - Present
Senior Communications Advisor, Office of the Honourable Reza Moridi / Ontario Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science
Senior Communications Advisor, Office of the Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services / Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
• Effectively working in a fast-paced and complex environment, overseeing media relations and crisis communications/issues management within the Minister’s office, and developing and maintaining positive relationships with the Office of the Premier, senior government officials and external stakeholders.
• Development and implementation of high-profile communications strategies, including the government’s review of segregation, corrections reform and a media tour of the Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre.
• Planning and execution of media announcements; including writing and developing related communications materials (ie. remarks, key messages, media questions and answers) and briefing the Minister.
• Planning and facilitating the Minister’s visits to a number of correctional institutions, conferences, stakeholder events and meetings; including developing briefing materials, key messages/remarks, issues notes, questions/answers and supporting documents.
• Providing strategic communications and media relations advice to the Minister.
Communications Advisor, Office of the Honourable David Orazietti / Ontario Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
• Responsible for strategic communications planning, working in co-ordination with the Office of the Premier, senior ministry officials and external stakeholders.
• Planned and executed several high-profile media announcements, including polymer birth certificates, the Tarion review, condominium act reform and gender identification on government documents.
• Managed media relations and issues, including developing messaging, briefing the Minister prior to media interviews and acting as a spokesperson for the Minister.
• Wrote and developed communications materials and products for the Minister, including press releases, issues/briefing notes, social media posts and remarks.
• Managed and monitored the Minister’s social media channels and oversaw strategy and content development for MGCS social media channels (ServiceOntario, Consumer Protection Ontario, and Archives Ontario).
Communications & Digital Media Consultant / Souch Creativity
Noteworthy projects include:
• Toronto Professional Firefighters' Associations' #PublicSafety social media campaign during October of the 2014 municipal election – strategy, development and implementation.
• Elana Metter's Ward 16 City Council campaign - communications strategy and implementation, including website design and maintenance, social media management, and design of marketing collateral (campaign lit, door hangers, logo, photographs, etc).
• Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation’s “My Breast, My Test” campaign – social media strategy, development and implementation; including graphic design and copy writing.
• Toronto Star’s “Speak Your Mind” Initiative – Community Blogger for the Whitby-Oshawa riding during the 2011 Provincial Election: providing interviews, articles, photos and video.
• blogTO.com – writer and photographer, providing articles, interviews, photos and video.
• Freelance creative, copy and news writing for clients, including RateHub.ca, photojojo.com and livestrong.com.
• Voice overs, copy writing and editing, videography, video editing, press releases, trade show materials, and marketing collateral for a variety of clients both locally and internationally.
Press Secretary/Director of Communications / Karen Stintz Campaign
• Developed and maintained positive relationships with media members, responded to the media’s requests for information and acted as spokesperson for the campaign when appropriate.
• Organized and facilitated press conferences during the campaign; including writing press releases, backgrounders, speaking notes, and arranging interviews.
• Offered advice and guidance to campaign and candidate with regard to communications strategy and media relations.
• Developed and implemented social media strategy, including maintaining and updating digital content and social media channels on a daily basis. Social channels included candidate’s Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and campaign website.
• Assisted in the development of an overall communications strategy, including branding and voice; maintained and implemented strategy over the course of the campaign.
Social Media Manager / Constellation Brands
• Monitor and manage the day-to-day social media communities for three refreshment brands: Growers Cider, VEX and Highball Collective.
• Create valuable, relevant and engaging content (photos, videos, graphics and copy) for each brand, posting a minimum of three times per brand, per week; create and manage Facebook promotions, contests, and giveaways for all brands, ensuring consistency with brand strategy.
• Review, analyze, benchmark, and report on brand performance against KPIs on a weekly basis using Facebook Insights and Hootsuite analytics; provide an in-depth report and presentation every 6-8 weeks on insights gained from analytics and recommendations moving forward.
• Ongoing research and implementation of updates to social media tools, best practices, and techniques; ensure internal teams are up-to-date with the most relevant information; provide insights and analytics to help teams evolve their strategies.
• Consistently met or exceeded corporate benchmark for post engagement and virality rate within each brand, including exceeding Growers Cider benchmark by 2% and VEX by 2.5% on average.
• Saw an increase in KPIs for each brand (compared to previous year): Growers Cider overall engagement by 3.6%, virality rate by 3.4%, fan acquisition rate by 1.7%; VEX overall engagement by 1.2%, virality rate by 2.3%, fan acquisition rate by 4.09%.
Online Marketing Manager / RateHub.ca
• Growing RateHub's online presence through regular in-house blog posts, social media, and articles for partner sites, with a focus on Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
• Develop and maintain partnerships with industry websites, including Yahoo! Finance Canada and Sympatico's The Loop; write articles and create content for partner sites on a regular basis.
• Developing video concepts, scripts and story boards; managing freelance video talent to bring the idea to life in a for-the-web video format, including "Mortgage Math" on The Loop and "House Keys" on Yahoo! Finance Canada; focusing on Video SEO (VSEO) for the RateHub YouTube channel.
• Creating, managing, and executing various strategic contests with the intent to increase users, followers, and brand awareness, including "Homebuyer Jeopardy" which saw a 300-follower increase on Facebook in August.
• Creating and maintaining RateHub's media list; building and maintaining relationships with industry partners.
• Photographing, interviewing, and on-boarding broker profiles to increase the user experience when searching for a broker within Canada.
Media Writer / DealFind.com
• Write marketing and advertisement copy for daily deals in an engaging, creative, and witty manner; ensuring compliance with the unique “Dealfind Voice” and brand; produce travel deal marketing copy in an enticing, elegant, descriptive, and vivacious style; supply creative copy and business information for Dealfind's partner program with Google.
• Meet tight daily deadlines for a high volume of written copy while maintaining quality.
• Thoroughly research various industries and companies for Daily Deals, fact check merchant information and services, proofreading copy and inputting content.
• Interview local Toronto restaurant owners about their establishment for MenuPalace.com.
• Contribute copy and employee interviews to the internal Dealfind newsletter, published monthly.
• Daily experience using SalesForce to communicate with colleagues and transfer information within departments.
Video Journalist / EastLink
• Generate story ideas, conduct and film interviews, shoot b-roll, capture, edit, and voice-over footage for feature news stories; conducting background research, chasing stories, script writing.
• Anchor “Neighbourhood Notes” program for Kapuskasing, conduct three minute in-studio interviews for interview segment, back-up newscast anchor and back-up newscast editor.
• General office administration, including liaising and communicating with the community and viewers.
• Participated in the 2009 Lions Club & CTV Telethon as a live host.
News Intern / CTV
• Conducting interviews, script writing, research, chasing stories, setting up interviews, transcribing, reviewing footage, time coding and shot listing, shadowing reporters.
Connected Cruiser / CTV
• Promote CTV Toronto & the local news team through community interaction at events across the GTA.
• Liaison with event organizers, arrange placement for CTV during events, set up and tear down of promo equipment and vehicle.
Public Relations Seasonal Clerk / Toronto Zoo
• Liaising with corporate clients to organize events, preparation of itinerary and print materials (flyers, tickets, signage), working onsite during the event to coordinate activities.
• Administrative duties including department memos, billing, deposits and consignment orders.
• Assisted with set up, execution, management and tear down of public events, including the Cystic Fibrosis Walk and Disney Mania Concert Series.
Vice President Student Services / Brock University Students' Union
•Elected position – successful election campaign strategy and implementation against five competing candidates in February, 2006
• Oversee BUSU services, including clubs, Foot Patrol, the Student Health Plan, First Aid Responders, Orientation Week, and charity events.
• Event planning, execution and management of an $80,000 Orientation Week for Brock University.
• Development and management of the first Frost Week event at Brock University.
• Initiated & implemented the new First Aid Responders program (Brock Aid) in 2006/07.
• Student Dental Plan - established plan objectives, available services and negotiated with healthcare insurance provider before running a successful referendum - 72% of students voted in-favour of the plan, which was implemented in 2007/8.